The company is working with Children’s Hospital to improve medical image processing.
Red Hat has collaborated with Boston Children’s Hospital to deploy the ChRIS Research Integration Ser-vice, a web-based medical image platform on the Massachusetts Open Cloud (MOC).
“The collaboration with Red Hat came very naturally. We are both seen as leaders in our respective sec-tors and have a shared goal of creating open technology solutions to aid doctors in making potentially life-saving decisions. With Red Hat’s technology, we are able to create an open, scalable and shareable plat-form capable of reducing the time it takes to analyze key images from hours to minutes,” said Dr. P. Ellen Grant, Director of the Fetal-Neonatal Neuroimaging and Developmental Science Center (FNNDSC) at Chil-dren’s Hospital Boston.
ChRIS Research Integration Service offers real-time collaboration between clinicians and radiologists around the world. It enables these professionals to share critical data through real-time collaboration and can lead to quicker and more accurate diagnoses, helping to improve patient outcomes.
ChRIS provides a standardized way of deploying imaging applications, which reduces the barrier that cur-rently exists between developers of those apps and users who need quick access to them. Because ChRIS runs on Red Hat OpenShift deployed on Red Hat OpenStack Platform, app containers built for ChRIS come prepackaged with all of the required libraries, enabling the user to quickly install an app and then use it in an orchestrated way within the platform.
Boston Children’s Hospital built ChRIS using a variety of Red Hat’s open source technologies that allow for a flexible, open hybrid cloud architecture that is designed for agility and scale.
Some of these technologies include:
● Red Hat Enterprise Linux which is being used to accelerate the Graphics Processing Units (GPU) running on MOC.
● Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform is being used as part of the solution for application lifecycle management, making it easy to build, deploy and scale applications for imaging, analytics and diagnosis using Linux containers and Kubernetes at the core of ChRIS.
● Red Hat OpenStack Platform is the foundation for MOC’s scalable compute nodes. The platform also helps provide GPU acceleration while adhering to OpenStack’s built-in security standards.
● Red Hat CloudForms and Red Hat Ansible Automation fuel a combined cloud management and au-tomation approach. CloudForms provides a hybrid cloud management platform while Ansible offers a broad, agentless IT automation engine – together, the technologies help Boston Children’s Hospital better manage the ChRIS solution, simplifying service and policy management and adding automation to keep routine tasks moving smoothly.
● Red Hat Ceph Storage helps MOC provide fast, redundant cloud storage at scale.
In addition to these products, Red Hat is also providing coding help and guidance for the development of the ChRIS platform.