Buoyant is adding fully managed Linkerd capabilities to Buoyant Cloud, so that developers can treat Linkerd as a managed service even if it is running on their own cluster. Buoyant Cloud can now automate the Linkerd upgrades, rollbacks, installations and trust anchor rotation. The new capabilities aim to make Linkerd easier to use and manage.
“Linkerd is known for its simplicity. In the very crowded market of service meshes, it stands unique because it is focused on reducing what we call operational complexity so that once you have it running, it’s easy to install and get it working,” says William Morgan, CEO of Buoyant and Co-creator of Linkerd, on this episode of TFiR Let’s Talk.
Key highlights from this video interview are:
- Morgan discusses their motivation for open source Linkerd to be whatever developers’ need to run a fully productionized, fully secure, service mesh. Morgan explains the features that take advantage of what Linkerd provides, while still making it easy for customers in Buoyant Cloud to consume also.
- Morgan explains why open source and the open source community is so important to Buoyant.
- Automation is playing an important role in the management of service mesh. Morgan explains why automation is so critical in this area and what problems it is solving for developers.
- Morgan explains what makes Linkerd so unique compared to other service mesh solutions and why Buoyant was so focused on creating a simple system.
- KubeCon is being held May 16-20. Morgan explains what to expect at the event. He goes into detail about what notable developments and deployments they are seeing with Linkerd.
The summary of the show is written by Emily Nicholls.