This is a discussion with Javier Perez, Open Source Program Manager, IBM Z, and LinuxONE at IBM. The mainframe is the lifeblood of the modern economy. It touches our lives on a daily basis without us even knowing. With the emergence of new technology paradigms like DevOps, Cloud Native Computing, Mainframe technologies, and culture is evolving. This discussion touches upon some of those points.
Here is a table of content of my discussion with Perez.
- 00:01:16 How did Linux and open source distributions start to change the culture of the mainframe?
- 00:03:56 What role mainframe is playing in today’s economy.
- 00:05:48 How does the mainframe allow modern developers to bring their own DevOps tools to the platform?
- 00:08:45 Trends and adoption of the mainframe by modern developers?
- 00:10:38 How projects like Open Mainframe attracting more modern developers while also modernizing the interface of the mainframe?
- 00:13:23 Mainframes are expensive. How do you make them more accessible to start-ups and businesses?
- 00:15:11 Are you seeing an increase in interest in the mainframe?
- 00:17:14 New challenges for the mainframe that you are now working on solving?
You can also listen to it on SoundCloud: