Smallstep is an open-core, venture-backed company that helps enterprises and DevOps engineers encrypt their network communication and secure their software systems. In this episode of 2023 Predictions, Founder and CEO Mike Malone shares his forecast for the industry this new year.
In 2023, Malone predicts enterprises will:
- Start executing zero-trust strategies, which means there will be an uptick in the deployment of mutual TLS and certificate-based authentication in internal networks.
- Implement a more secure device enrollment strategy using cryptographic coprocessors.
- Recognize the advantage of asymmetric cryptography as an alternative to password-based or shared-secret-based authentication.
Smallstep will continue to focus on:
- Supporting enterprises on this journey to zero trust, replacing secrets with asymmetric crypto, and new enrollment technologies
- Building out more end-to-end solutions for managing encryption and authentication.
Enterprises will be challenged with doing more with less, meaning,
- They have to figure out how to reduce costs and drive efficiencies.
- They have to address zero trust and understand how to do that efficiently.
This summary was written by Camille Gregory.